"i must kneel to fight" -ben harper

"i must kneel to fight" -ben harper*

"two days cannot be lived: yesterday and the day after you die." -john piper*

Monday, September 10, 2012

For such a time as this...

Yesterday, I asked a friend, are we just getting to the age of experiencing more bad news or are things around us changing? A missionary from our church was just about to depart for a mission trip when she was diagnosed with cancer.

In the past few months, I have seen believers I know experience huge tribulations. An encourager and faithful mother whose son was severely hurt when he was hit by a car while riding his bike, a gentle believer died only 3 months after she was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and a kindhearted, generous father suffered major injuries in an accident.

In the past few months during our family time devotionals/lessons, we have been studying about courage. My oldest latched on to the story of Esther. When thinking on all that has happened lately, I thought of Mordecai's words to Esther:

"Yet, who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" Esther 4:14

I think I have stopped asking "why?" and I have began to wonder what does God want me/us to do. Would I chose to suffer loss for the sake of the kingdom?...I am not that spiritually mature yet. Giving my own life is one thing, losing those I love is harder. But one thing I am certain of...God is faithful and does not forsake us...I will praise God no matter what. Evil wins if believers give up.

"Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.  And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope.  Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." Romans 5:1-5

As I was reading today's devotional of My Utmost for His Highest, there the thought was again. What do we do daily?

"Worshiping in Everyday Occasions-We presume that we would be ready for battle if confronted with a great crisis, but it is not the crisis that builds something within us— it simply reveals what we are made of already. Do you find yourself saying, “If God calls me to battle, of course I will rise to the occasion”? Yet you won’t rise to the occasion unless you have done so on God’s training ground.
If you have not been worshiping in everyday occasions, when you get involved in God’s work, you will not only be useless yourself but also a hindrance to those around you.
God’s training ground, where the missionary weapons are found, is the hidden, personal, worshiping life of the saint." -Oswald Chambers

In what time are we now?

currently reading:
carry on, mr. bowditch
1 thessalonians
romans

today grateful for:
Jesus
God's promises and His faithfulness
my boys
provision
other believers
fellowship
good health



No comments: