Isaiah was so attuned to God, because of the great crisis he had just endured, that the call of God penetrated his soul. The majority of us cannot hear anything but ourselves. And we cannot hear anything God says. But to be brought to the place where we can hear the call of God is to be profoundly changed.
I know it does not happen this way for everyone, but the crisis of Andy's death brought me
significantly closer to God. In that closeness, I felt I could hear His voice more clearly. Now that I am several years along since that time, I find if I do not make God my priority, I am distracted daily from being in sync with God.
Over the past few weeks my pastor preached about vision and spiritual growth and he referred to the book, My One Word. So for several weeks now I have been praying about God giving me a vision and a word for the next 12 months. I want to be in sync with God.
So then again this morning as I read Oswald Chambers...ch-ching
Staleness is an indication that something in our lives is out of step with God. We say to ourselves, “I have to do this thing or it will never get done.” That is the first sign of staleness. Do we feel fresh this very moment or are we stale, frantically searching our minds for something to do? Freshness is not the result of obedience; it comes from the Holy Spirit. Obedience keeps us “in the light as He is in the light . . .”I am thankful that God never forsakes me even when I am distracted...."squirrel!"
I was telling a friend recently how getting into that sweet spot of closeness with God when we have been distracted is like returning to the habit of exercise after a period of inactivity. The Nike saying comes to mind, "Just do it." The first hurdle is my mind and will. Once I return to the healthy habits of daily exercise or spiritually healthy habits of prayer and study I often think, "That was good, why did I wait so long to return."
In my quest for my one word, I have 5 words so far from which to choose.
(I have also begun exercising regularly again.)
currently listening to:
pastor's sermon from last week
currently reading:
powerless by mathew cody
dinosaurs before dark by mary pope osborne
my one word
stat geek baseball
from one widow to another
an amish christmas
today grateful for:
God and His faithfulness
my church
my boys
my youngest son's dancing
my oldest son's singing
my life group
my widow friends
provision
good health
No comments:
Post a Comment