"i must kneel to fight" -ben harper

"i must kneel to fight" -ben harper*

"two days cannot be lived: yesterday and the day after you die." -john piper*

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

a 2 x 4

I feel like I am hitting someone with an emotional 2 x 4 when I tell them that my husband died. A few weeks after Andy died, I ran into the parent of one of T's classmates. The classmate had been on the soccer team that Andy coached. This parent had no idea Andy had died and when I told her, it was as if I had physically hit her. She stood silent with her mouth literally hanging open for what seemed to be a long time.

Yesterday, I was chatting with a new neighbor who has a son the same age as M. Her son and M are quickly becoming good friends. I was trying to explain M's mood. M was in a grumpy mood yesterday, because he was extremely disappointed when his counseling appointment was changed to a conflict in our counselor's schedule. As part of my explanation, I just stated that my husband had died 2 1/2 years ago. Her disconcerted expression and physical reaction made me wish I knew another way of telling her. It made me wish I had even just a bit of Andy's social skills---his ability to read others and empathize.

currently listening to:
brothers playing

dinner(last night):
penne with tomato cream sauce, edamame

currently reading:
john, joshua
the privilege of persecution

today grateful for:
my boys
a nice neighbor
the bible
a friend for M
springtime
provision

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lyn, I can relate somewhat. Judging when and how to say it is not easy for me either. People are always asking how many children I have. Can't really say 3 because I've given birth to 5. But I don't want to sadden people's days by jumping into my story. I know the look of hitting them with a 2x4. That's a good way of putting it. Anyway, I wanted to leave a comment so you know someone is reading your blog! And I think you're doing a great job with it, by the way. I'm a writer by profession and can't seem to stick with it like you have. Good job. I'm sure it's therapeutic as well. I have journaled some, just never brave enough to put it out there for others to see. Maybe we can plan to get the kiddos together this summer. Miss you guys.........